Court Marriage in Dehradun deals with marriage contracts entered between individuals on the basis of customary law. It is a civil ceremony and does not incorporate the legal aspects. The procedure of court marriage in Dehradun can be undertaken only at the Dehradun High Court. Any person wishing to get married must first appear before a judge for signing the contract. The contract itself consists of the name of the bride or groom, the date of wedding, place of marriage and a nominal fee. There is no officiating priest, neither do the witnesses take oaths. The bride and the groom are required to submit before the registrar who will solemnize the court marriage. The names of both the parties are read aloud. This is followed by a prescribed number of questions which are to be answered by both the parties. If both the parties agree upon answers then the marriage is solemnized, and the names are entered in the register. A further distinction that can be made between the two is that the court marriage is a legal process while the other is a social or religious one. The legal process is supervised by a judge who takes up the task after having heard the case from both sides. On the other hand, the religious ceremonies are usually spiritual in character and involve a lot of people. Most of the times it involves family gathering and some other large gatherings like that of a funeral. No special act or legal formalities are required for these gatherings but it is observed that there is an exchange of good wishes and love and that prayers are said.Court Marriage is a common procedure, which has to be followed by everyone. If a marriage is not registered it is not considered valid during legal procedures such as, applying for a joint home loan. You could also be fined for not registering your marriage. It is a rule that all the marriages have to be registered whether you are having a wedding ceremony or not.
A marriage certificate is an important proof, in case there are some problems between you and your spouse in the future and a legal action needs to be taken.
Advantages of Court Marriage Certificate:-
• Certificate of Marriage is a document, which provides valuable evidence of marriage;
• Certificate of Marriage is a document providing social security, self-confidence particularly among married Women.
• Court Marriage Certificate is useful in getting the visa for the wife/husband.
• It will be helpful in claiming the Bank deposits or Life Insurance benefits when the depositee or the Insurer dies without a nomination or otherwise.
Documents required for the Performance & Registration of Court Marriage
1. Passport Size Photographs – four each of Marrying Persons.
2. Residential Proof (Voter Card / Passport / Ration Car / Driving License / Bank Passbook / Lease Deed / Rent Deed) of Marrying Persons.
3. Date of Birth Proof (Municipal Corporation Certificate, X th or XII th Examination Certificate, Passport, PAN Card) of Marrying Persons.
4. If any party is divorcee Certified copy of Decree of Divorce granted by the Court.
5. If any party is widow / widower Death Certificate of the dead spouse.
6. If any party is a Foreign Citizen or holding a foreign Passport or is having foreign residential address – Certificate of Present Marital Status of the party / No Impediment Certificate / NOC from concerned Embassy and Valid VISA.
7. Two Witnesses (Both should be major)