Court marriage in Hanumangarh is a traditional practice that has now been replaced by the new system of customary law, mahajara. The bride is selected by her family and other elders at her place of residence or at her workplace. The groom is identified by an elder who has had the prerogative to choose the groom for his daughter. Once the girl and the boy are identified, they take a seven-day journey to the court of the family elders. They take the bride and the groom to their respective homes after being escorted by the family head. The marriage is then arranged at the pump and (loom) by the elders of the family. The marriage is conducted under the supervision of the local elders with the help of a court official present at the kumpa mandi. The marriage is celebrated with customary wedding dances, which is followed by a sumptuous feast. The couple is then asked to withdraw inside the house. After some days the wife announces that she has to marry her husband. A formal exchange of wedding vows is made between the two families and the bride and the groom take an oath to stay together until death or the marriage ceases to be. Once this is announced, the court system alerts all the local elders who have the power to initiate marriage. The elders approach the couple and make them take an oath to wed. This is the initiation of the marriage system. If the bride and the groom prove unfaithful to each other within a certain time, the marriage might be annulled by the court. This is because the elders of the community are consulted and a decision is taken. The elders can annul the marriage through customary law or by a written document provided by the elders. The bride is usually removed from the wedding and the groom is given another bride after the marriage.Court Marriage is a common procedure, which has to be followed by everyone. If a marriage is not registered it is not considered valid during legal procedures such as, applying for a joint home loan. You could also be fined for not registering your marriage. It is a rule that all the marriages have to be registered whether you are having a wedding ceremony or not.
A marriage certificate is an important proof, in case there are some problems between you and your spouse in the future and a legal action needs to be taken.
Advantages of Court Marriage Certificate:-
• Certificate of Marriage is a document, which provides valuable evidence of marriage;
• Certificate of Marriage is a document providing social security, self-confidence particularly among married Women.
• Court Marriage Certificate is useful in getting the visa for the wife/husband.
• It will be helpful in claiming the Bank deposits or Life Insurance benefits when the depositee or the Insurer dies without a nomination or otherwise.
Documents required for the Performance & Registration of Court Marriage
1. Passport Size Photographs – four each of Marrying Persons.
2. Residential Proof (Voter Card / Passport / Ration Car / Driving License / Bank Passbook / Lease Deed / Rent Deed) of Marrying Persons.
3. Date of Birth Proof (Municipal Corporation Certificate, X th or XII th Examination Certificate, Passport, PAN Card) of Marrying Persons.
4. If any party is divorcee Certified copy of Decree of Divorce granted by the Court.
5. If any party is widow / widower Death Certificate of the dead spouse.
6. If any party is a Foreign Citizen or holding a foreign Passport or is having foreign residential address – Certificate of Present Marital Status of the party / No Impediment Certificate / NOC from concerned Embassy and Valid VISA.
7. Two Witnesses (Both should be major)